At Pelham, we believe in a multi-faith syllabus for RE. Through assemblies and in the classroom, faith and festivals are explored and celebrated through stories from a wide range of the religions represented within the school community. Emphasis is placed on what we, as individuals and in different faiths, share in common, as well as what makes us unique.
At Pelham we want all pupils to:
- acquire and develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and the other principal religions represented in Great Britain;
- develop an understanding of the influence of beliefs, values and traditions on the way people live;
- enhance their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development;
- develop the ability to come to reasoned and informed opinions about religious and moral issues;
- develop positive attitudes towards other people, respecting their right to hold different beliefs from their own, and towards living in a religiously diverse society.
We will do this by:
- exploring and learning about a variety of faiths as part of our multi-faith syllabus;
- organising visits and trips to places of worship that allow children to see key religious items and partake in some religious customs;
- enhancing and engaging learning through fun focus days and parent visits. This would include celebrating a variety of religious festivals throughout the year;
- utilising opportunities outside the classroom including home learning to enrich experience;
- delivering planned and differentiated lessons, taught with a clear religious knowledge objective;
- allowing children to communicate their understanding in a variety of ways including writing, presentation, art and drama;
- facilitating conversations around religious and cultural similarities and differences and moral debates;
- encouraging children to share their opinions and experiences and encouraging them to respect different points of view and be open to the beliefs of their peers;
- delivering enquiry-based lessons, where cross-curricular links can be made to PSHE, P4C and RRS.
Click on the link below for an overview of the RE topics taught across each year group, throughout the year.
At Pelham, we follow the Merton Agreed Syllabus for RE. This is available to view by clicking here.