At Pelham we have a one-form entry Nursery which runs two three-hour sessions per day. In addition, we now have a number of 30 hour places.
Nursery children enjoy a rich, stimulating and practical curriculum which is predominantly led by the children and based around topics which interest them. We believe that play is educationally powerful, so the staff plan on the basic principles of play, using their knowledge of the curriculum and of the children's developmental stages. We combine adult directed and child initiated activities.
We aim to provide for the intellectual, emotional, social and physical needs of the child.
- To welcome all children into a fun, stimulating, caring environment.
- We treat each child as an individual.
- Offer children the opportunity to participate in a variety of experiences that will enhance their skills and knowledge.
- Encourage children to be independent in their thinking and learning.
- To learn through play and through first hand experiences.
- To have access to an enjoyable curriculum.
- Encourage children to develop a sense of kindness, pride and respect.
- To develop confidence and enthusiasm to learn.
- To access different themes and topics throughout their nursery life.
- To give all children an equal opportunity to learn.
The Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum is made up of seventeen learning areas in total, split into the Prime and Specific Areas.
Communication, Language & Literacy
- Listening and attention
- Moving and handling
- Health and self-care
Personal, social and emotional development
- Self-confidence and self-awareness
- Managing feelings and behaviour
- Making relationships
- Shape, Space and Measures
Understanding of the world
- People and communities
- The world
Expressive arts and design
- Exploring and using media and materials
- Being imaginative
Topics and learning
Topics in Nursery include; Ourselves, Celebrations, People who help us, Facts and Into the Woods. Nursery children are able to learn in a stimulating, indoor and outdoor environment and regularly mix with children from our Reception classes. The day is made up of one structured whole-class teaching session, one or two focussed learning sessions in small groups and child-initiated learning time. We also teach phase 1 and phase 2 phonics three times a week.
We usually offer one main trip every year: a theatre trip at Christmas.
Nursery is a very exciting year - children make vast steps in their social and learning development and this supports the children's progress into their reception classes.
Click on the links below for an overview of the topics taught over the year.