At Pelham we love maths and see it as an essential life skill. We are committed to ensuring that children have a positive and meaningful experience of mathematics throughout the school. We offer a curriculum that secures essential knowledge and skills whilst giving the children many opportunities to use and apply their mathematical skills across the curriculum through real life problem solving and mathematical investigations.
The mathematics curriculum is broken down into the following strands:
- number and place value
- addition and subtraction
- multiplication and division
- properties of shapes
- position and direction
Our aims in teaching Mathematics are that the children will:
- Enjoy the subject and study it with a sense of confidence and achievement
- Achieve a high standard in numeracy and gain a secure foundation of knowledge, skills and concepts
- Secure mathematical skills and knowledge accompanied by a quick recall of basic number facts
- Use and apply these skills with confidence and understanding in real life problems and within mathematics itself
- Have an awareness of the use of maths in the world outside the classroom
- Develop understanding through a process of enquiry and experience
- Develop persistence through sustained work over a period of time
- Develop an ability to think logically and to use mathematical language with confidence and understanding
- Have an appreciation of mathematical patterns and relationships
- Have a positive attitude towards mathematics as an interesting and creative subject
- Gain experience of working independently, investigating their own ideas and developing their own mental and written methods
Interventions and extensions
At Pelham, we monitor the children's progress carefully and organise extension groups for children who are ready for an additional push whilst also giving regular small group support to those children finding the subject challenging.
Every child from Year 1 to Year 6 is given a personal password to give them access to the award winning Mathletics website. This interactive website is full of helpful guidance, games and challenges. It is a great resource that inspires the children to rehearse their maths skills at home. Just what we want! We also offer a lunchtime Mathletics club
How parents and carers can help
Every parent and carer can do their bit to help inspire their children to be successful in maths:
- Help them practice their times tables
- Come to our information evenings to pick up tips and have some fun.
- Show your child that you like the subject (Please refrain from admitting that you hated maths or telling your children that you are no good at it - it permissions them to feel the same and we don't want that!)
At Pelham, we recognise that children need a range of calculation strategies which are efficient, accurate and reliable. Through a carefully developed calculation policy, children are given a 'tool kit' of strategies which enable them to calculate confidently.
Some of these methods will look different to the methods you were taught as a child. Please feel free to come in and ask questions about the methods we are using. To assist parents further, when helping their children with maths, we run occasional workshops and have made available the Wandsworth Calculations Policy, which the school has adopted, for you to be able to download by clicking on the link below. This provides clear examples and instructions showing how we teach addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in each school year.
Click on the link below for an overview of the maths topics taught across each year group, throughout the year.
Click on the links below for the Mathematics National Curriculum guides: