Art and Design
At Pelham we want all pupils to:
- have a sense of enjoyment whilst developing an interest in and love of art and design
- be inspired by artists and designers
- be able to express themselves through art and design with confidence
- appreciate the diversity of art and design across cultures, genders and time periods, and have an awareness of how different art movements
- understand the creative process of design involves an individual journey for each and every one of us, and does not solely concern the end product
- be able to understand and use artistic vocabulary
- be able to appreciate and evaluate different forms of art and design.
We will do this by:
- introducing pupils to a wide variety of skills within a range of artistic disciplines including drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking and textiles/collage
- developing sketchbooks that provide a space for pupils to draw, design, investigate, experiment, evaluate, research, annotate, reflect on and communicate their creative journey
- providing opportunities for the pupils to study and evaluate great and significant artists, craftspeople, architects and designers across cultures and in history, including contemporary and future contexts
- delivering planned and differentiated lessons, that allow continuity and progression across year groups and key stages, thus enabling pupils to improve their mastery of art and design techniques using a range of different media
- providing opportunities for pupils to use ideas from others’ work, life experience or their own imagination to create pieces of work
- ensuring that children are exposed to and have the opportunity to master language that allows them to express their understanding
- celebrating Pelham’s artwork through, amongst other things, displays and our annual Arts Award
- organising visits and trips that inspire pupils and allow them to see original works in galleries, museums and the wider environment
- providing opportunities for the children to take part in externally organised art competitions
- continuing to collaborate with and build links within our local artistic community, including Pelham families where appropriate.
Click on the link below for an overview of the art topics taught across each year group, throughout the year.
For a detailed description of the skills and knowledge taught in each Key Stage, click here to download the National Curriculum for Art and Design.